Monday, November 29, 2010

Something's lurking around the corner


In horror movies, you're always lured into a false sense of calm right before a big scare.  The contrast between serenity and terror enhances the impact of both.  I hate to say it, but I'm getting the same feeling right now.  I've enjoyed five peaceful days leisure, but my work inbox is lurking around the corner.  Something is always there, just waiting to jump out and bring me back to reality.

I feel somewhat bad about comparing my return to a regular schedule to a horror movie.  It's probably just that the contrast effect works both ways.  I went from the "scares" of work to having an extended period of time to read and write and enjoy whatever it is that I enjoy.  These long weekends happen so rarely that they become all the more special when they do materialize.  Perhaps the best way to think of things, is that I could never appreciate the weekend so much, if it weren't for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment