Sunday, November 7, 2010

The museum gets stormy

I got to be at the opening of the Living with Hurricanes: Katrina and Beyond exhibit at the LA State Museum a couple of weeks ago, but my time was limited so I knew I'd have to go back to actually take in some of the displays.  After spending a couple hours there this weekend, I can officially recommend it to others.  As its location at the Presbytere (right next to St. Louis Cathedral) is perfect for catching all the tourist traffic through Jackson Square, its in prime position to get a lot of visitors.

Over the last three and a half years I've gotten to hear a lot of first hand accounts of the storm.  Those accumulated histories come together to create an understanding of the event's impact that can't really be reproduced in a few news reports.  The museum does a good job of communicating that message to people that haven't had to live in a "post storm" environment.  Even the most hard of heart can't help but be moved by the films and pictures and objects that do so much to tell this story.  It's a visit well worth the six bucks to get in.







No comments:

Post a Comment